Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Purge and Organize


I know cleaning out the closet is one of the hardest tasks for women. We are pack rats and hoarders to say the least. Now, let me preface by saying that I've always been good about cleaning out my closet**. Twice a year I donate to Goodwill and I'm fairly reasonable with knowing if i'll ever wear things again. But last week I did a HUGE purge of my closet. I was like, Amber, it's time to get real (only I said it in my head rather than out loud, because god forbid I look more like a crazy pants than I already do)

I ripped off the band aide and got rid of almost all the t-shirts I'd been stockpiling for years. I'd always had the hope of making a blanket out of my t-shirts, because I have so many from high school and college and because they all have special memories for me, but after three years of saying that with no action, I had to be realistic. So I only kept the ones that were super special and sent the others on to a life better more fulfilling than sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I also purged dresses, dress pants (since I no longer work in an office requiring business casual), blouses and shoes that I wasn't in love with. And with all the free space I cleared up, I was able to better organize my closet, rather than my usual piles of clothes stacked on the top shelf, causing an avalanche of fabric when I pull one item out of the stack. Needless to say, when I was through, I was pretty proud of myself (as I pat myself on the back...metaphorically of course. Again, working on reducing the crazy factor)

**I have always had an organized closet. All my hangers must be white and all my clothes must be color coordinated in descending order by sleeve length (tanks, short sleeves, 3/4, long sleeves). Heels are always paired together. Scarfs and belts are also always organized together. Sometimes I'm a little anal.

No comments:

Post a Comment